Thursday 13 September 2012

Pre-Conceptions

After work today I heard this lady on Radio 2000 and I could hear that she is a very intelligent woman. She explain how she grew with her mother and grandmother and how she never had any father figure in her life.

They way she spoke and expresses herself intrigued me, and I was wondering who this could be. She spoke about the values her mother and grandmother thought her, and how her family transitioned into the new SA. I must be honest I was thinking it must be some doctor from a university or a really educated person.

But to my surprise it was Khanyi Mbau. I was surprised how the 'faceless' (the true) Khanyi Mbau are so different to the one we all know (the one in the media). It also made me wonder how much the media have influenced our perceptions about life. Our perceptions about politics, the weather, what to eat, what is good and what is bad.

The Khanyi Mbau on radio tonight was not the out of control freak and 'queen of bling' (as she is commonly known) but an honest and hardworking women. She could have been my sister or my cousin; women I love. So I am asking myself how many skewed perceptions do I have of other 'famous' people, like for example our politicians.

What would I think of a 'faceless' Julius Malema, Hellen Zille, Gwede Mantashe, or Mosiuoa Lekota. By 'faceless' I mean the real person and not the one that the media portray. How would our perceptions change about these individuals? Will we truly have the same feelings that we currently do? I must be honest mine is definitely changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment