Tuesday 19 June 2012

Racism Never Left

Saturday I took a taxi to Eersterivier because I had to get to someone to get to a wedding. It was early morning and usually during this time of the day taxis are overloaded. I was sitting close a 'black' lady and I could see her facebook post.

At that time see was updating her status and it read as follow: already 22 in this taxi with the windows closed, wish I was already there #death by the hands of a coloured taxi driver. the problem with this status is that all taxi drivers in Cape Town is the same and all of them overload. After reading this I realised that we are all racist, it is just hidden at a sub-conscious level.

To be honest I felt angry and disgusted by the racism we still experience in South Africa. It have just became very nuanced. I felt the same way a couple of weeks back when I bought biltong in a butchery in Stellenbosch. A 'white' lady did not want to help me so she called a coloured worker to come and help me.

I felt the same way when coloured people stereotype black people and calling them loud. I felt the same way when I go to Tygervalley mall and Parrow mall. Those of you that have been to these two malls would have noticed a contrast.

What I am trying to show is that racism is alive and kicking in South Africa. It has just shifted to personal spaces and it is hidden somewhere in our subconscious level. Here is an appeal to me and everyone else, let's find this parasite that is hidden in our subconscious level and kill it. If we do not do this, it will eventually take over our lives and we would become the parasite.
14 November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment