Tuesday 19 June 2012

How Can We Forget

I am writing the following entry with tears in my eyes and very angry. I must say I am gatvol! How can you forget the hell we went through during apartheid and we still going through. How can you forget how people were forced to leave their homes to make way for white people? How can you forget 21 March 1960 or 17 June 1976?

We must understand that the Khayelitsha’s, the Mannenberg’s, the Soweto’s and the Galeshewe’s of today were created to oppress black, coloured and Indian people. It was created to keep them in poverty as long it is possible. The truth is that as long there are Khayelitsha’s white people will an unfair advantage over black people. We also need to be conscious of the fact that the moment we forget this the apartheid project will succeed.

This is a reality that makes most white people uncomfortable because it is true. After writing this I would most probably labelled as an angry ‘black’ who is ungrateful for what he have. What if I have nothing!! What if I tell you that what I got from my late grandparents is a walking stick because there was nothing to leave behind. They came in this world oppressed and they left it that way. And I am expected to be grateful!

I have decided to never forget where I came from and what it took me to get here. I also decided to continue the struggle for a Khayelitsha, Galeshewe, Soweto and Mannenberg South Africa!
06 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment